We spend most of our lives as women taking care of others. The fact is, however, that until you really learn to take care of yourself, in all ways, you probably won’t get to experience all that life has to offer.
When we don’t take care of ourselves, we suffer in many ways:
- Our health
- Our families
- Our relationships
- Our work
- Our ability to enjoy life
- Our ability to make a difference
- and hardly last on the list, our financial life
The sad thing is that, too often, it takes an emergency or some other negative life event before we decide that we are worthy enough to care about and take care of. Only then do we start changing our mental, physical and emotional habits to include US in the people we take great care of.
Here are just a few things you can start doing to take better care of yourself:
- Getting enough sleep
- Taking time to actually relax
- Eating more fruits, vegetables and healthy fats (i.e., eating less junk foods)
- Yoga and strength training
- Going outside and being in nature
- Gardening…growing anything
- Spending time being creative (it doesn’t matter how good you are at something…just do it)
- Do something nice for someone else
- Do something nice for yourself (massage, pedicure, movie with a friend)
- Listen to your favorite music
- Dance around a bit and move that body
- Find something funny to make you laugh every day
- Get your space clear and decluttered
- Be amazed by something every day (butterflies, hummingbirds!)
- Try a new flavor once in a while
- Spend more time petting your pet
- Do something differently on a regular basis (use your opposite hand to eat, take a different route to work, etc.)
- Take few minutes every day to simply sit and look around you.
There are so many ways to take better care of yourself and only you know the areas where you might want to do things a little differently.
Just know that once you start taking better care of yourself, your life…all aspects of it…will start to improve.